In 1926, founder Louis Edelman brought his wife and four children to Philadelphia from Weston, West Virginia. He was a local jeweler, optician, and watch inspector for the B&O Railroad. He founded Edelman’s Loan Office at 4216 Lancaster Avenue in West Philadelphia. His son Milton Edelman joined the company after graduating from Germantown High School in 1933. During World War II Milton worked as an aircraft inspector for the United States Navy at the Philadelphia Naval Base. After the war he returned back to the family business.